Animas History

Animas is a settlement at the junction of NM 9 and NM 338. The name probably came from the Spanish for souls, or lost souls. It may refer to the numerous people who died during the early days of Apache-settler conflict.

The area was explored initially in 1753 by the Spanish looking for copper, silver, and gold.  Animas became part of a newly independent Mexico in 1821.  The name originates about 1843, when Hispanic settlers arrived.  It became a center for ranching, farming, and some mining. When  Phelps Dodge Corporation put in a railroad in 1901, the settlement grew. The railroad ran until 1962, transporting cattle and goods across the southwest.

The Post Office was established in 1909.

Location

338south.jpgAnimas is located in the valley between the Peloncillo Mountains to the west and the Pyramid and Animas Mountains to the east. The Continental Divide runs just east. 

Fast Facts

Latitude 31.948N.

Longitude 108.806W.

Elevation 4406'

Population 1096 (2000 Census)

Live Weather Station, Animas 

Animas High School has a Weather Bug Station that monitors and displays live weather data. To see the link, click here.

weatherbug.jpg